-->

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The White Cliffs of Dover


There is a beautiful strip of coastline facing France, along the English Channel, where white chalk cliffs drop hundreds of feet to meet the water. It is a place I've been romanced by since my first week living in England when I caught sight of them from a scenic plane ride. I have since been back a few times; once with my dear friend Sarah and another time just passing by on a bus headed to Belgium. Until last week Dave had never seen the cliffs. Here are a few pictures from my first trip over Dover.
Below is of my beautiful friend Sarah from our trip to the cliffs last winter.
 Dave and I are prone to car issues and are always a little hesitant to road trip with our little UK spec vehicle. Nonetheless we headed south last Saturday, praying for a smooth drive. Halfway through the journey our little car started making a terrible noise. And that's never a good sign! Fortunately it had only dropped a rusted pipe-guard-thingy (I'm no mechanic) and was dragging that along. Dave was able to pull the piece off and we kept going. When we reached the White Cliffs the sky had cleared and there was a warm breeze. Here are some pictures from our day in Dover...

 There are miles of tunnels, deep in the chalky cliffs, used by the British during WWII. We stumbled upon a few of them as we made our way down the cliffs to the shore. The tunnel we found was partially caved in and the metal shutters were badly rusted but it gave us a glimpse of what it might have looked like during the war.

After hiking for a while we headed to a pub for lunch. We are not huge fans of pub food but this place claimed to make everything from scratch and had some great menu options. Dave ordered ribs and claims that it's the best meat he's ever eaten from a pub. I made the mistake of ordering a salad. Life in England 101 would teach you to stick to meat, bread and potatoes (or Indian food) when ordering in a pub. To make up for my unsatisfactory meal Dave got me a McFlurry (my first McDonald's food since moving to England) and fries to dip in it! and, as you can imagine, I savored my ice cream treat all the way home!

1 comment:

  1. I have a story about the white cliffs of Dover but until now I have never even seen a picture of them. I will have to tell your mom the story and she can pass it on. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete