-->

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Honeymoon Part 2 - Santorini



Ok, so I don't want to steal any of Emily's thunder from the prior post, but we were pretty busy during our time in Santorini, Greece, and I figured some added pictures and explanations would be fun.  I know it doesn't seem incredibly manly to gush about a honeymoon, so I'll be sure to steer clear of all things romantic.  I'll cover some scenery to include various beaches, along with our transportation, then I'll finish up with the gory, dangerous details of our trip.

Red Beach

Red Beach is relatively small, on the southern end of Santorini.  We went there on our first day.

There was an old man selling bags of grapes and figs on Red Beach.  We sampled the figs for a couple Euros.
A blue-domed church in Thessaloniki, the nearest village.

Ammoudi Bay

Ammoudi Bay is right near Oia, the town on the northern point of the island.  It is very deep and has the best fishing, not to mention it looks like a great setting for a Bond film.
 
Sharp volcanic rocks gouge the clear waves
Sculptures in Oia

Perissa Beach

Em enjoyed the black sand of Perissa Beach, on the southeast side of the island
Perissa is a very popular beach

Caldera

Thirassia helps form the western side of the Caldera, so between us and that rim is the crater of the ancient volcanoes
On the right you can see the mound of a volcano that's perched in the Caldera
Another shot of the volcano...the shades of blue in Santorini are staggeringly beautiful

Adventures on the Quad

Our mode of transportation for the week was a 150cc quad.  Em called it her "Hawg".
We traveled all over on our quad, and I think we only burned about 3 or 4 gallons of gas all week
Hazards of Snorkeling

The snorkeling in Ammoudi Bay was tons of fun on the shallower shelves.  The water clarity was the best I've ever seen, and I counted about 20 different fish species.
Incident #1 - While climbing out of the choppy water, I managed to bump against a sea urchin, which deposited about 5 or 6 spikes into my foot.  During Emily's attempt at field surgery, some of the tips snapped off in my foot and I hobbled around for a few days.
Incident #2 - What are the chances of a shark attack in the Mediterranean???
Em disregarded my pain and agony and soaked up some rays
Despite the dangerous waters of Santorini, I'd highly recommend a trip.  Perfect weather, enjoyable locals, and a variety of attractions (if you get tired of relaxing in the sun like I do)

Thanks for checking us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment